This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Complex Multiple Installation Q

1 reply to this topic

hossnine

hossnine
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:54

Hello and thank you in advance for taking time to review my request. We have an installshield developed in release 7 that creates the application directories, drops the associated files, and then creates the services. Pretty straight forward. Unfortunately I have a customer who has taken our application to the next level.

In addition to the base install (running setup.exe) our customer wants to be able to install additional installations (either from setup gui or via a commandline switch). Before you say, "this has already been answered" please see the requirements.

1) Additional installations should rename the core application executable and a number of corresponding files to represent the additional instance (MyApp.exe, MyApp1.exe, ....). This is mainly for identifying which instance of the app is running from the task manager.

2) Additional installations should have independent entries in add/remove programs (MyApp1, MyApp2, MyApp3).

3) Each individual installation should be independently modifyable (add/remove/repair). They want to be able to upgrade one instance without affecting other instances.

4) Setup should have the ability to install multiple installations into their own respective directories (Prog Files\Install1\, Prog Files\Install2, ...)

I'm not sure if this is possible with IS7 or later versions. Any feedback on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks.

Allen

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 19:14

The multi-instance functionality should do most of this out of the box, except renaming the files which you would have to do in your script.