This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Application open dialog

5 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 23:50

when uninstalling my product occasionally a dialog will popup that says...

"The following applications should be cloased before continuing the installation."

and the choices are: Cancel, Retry, Ignore.

i know why the dialog appears, that's not my question. what i'd like to do is disable the "Ignore" button on this dialog to force the user to close the application in question.

i have confirmed with InstallShiled that this is not their dialog so it must be the MSI or in Windows Installer somewhere.

where is this dialog and how do i access it to change the status of the "Ignore" button. i've attachd a sample of the dialog.

Attached Images

• applicationrunning.jpg

Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:55

I don't think you can disable the ignore button. Why do you need to do this?

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 20:56

i want to dissable the "ignore" button so the user must close the applicaiton that is holding onto my DLL. that way the DLL can be removed at uninstall and the "hook" that the "DLL" has into the applicaiton will be removed.

else... if the "DLL" is left behind it will continue to "haunt" the application it is hooked into.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:22

If you select Igrnore the DLL will be deleted on the next reboot.
You could perform your own check for just this DLL and display an appropriate error message. Disabling the Ignore button could be a problem if a file is locked by some other application that the user can't terminate.
Another option would be to have your setup shut down or kill the procerss that lockas the dll, using a custom action before InstallValidate.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 19:38

we have already written a CA that searches for applicaitons and prompts the user to close them. i was looking for a way to get rid of that CA and use the features already provided by the MSI.

your explaination does makes it clearer as to why the "Ignore" button should stay.

thanks... i guess we'll stick with what we have.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 00:11

so as a followup...

is there a way to change the state of a DLL from "not permanent" to permanent during runtime?

if a DLL is found by my CA to be locked i'd like to mark it as permanent to prevent the MSI "Application open dialog" from poping up.

then i'll use another CA to delete the DLL on reboot.