This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Vista--mixing Invoker and Admin operations

3 replies to this topic

PhilipTheInstaller

PhilipTheInstaller
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:01

We are using InstallShield 12 to create a Installscript MSI project. It needs to install files in both the Program Files folder (for all users to access) and files in the ALLUSERSPROFILES for users to use/modify. It also needs to write registry entries to LOCAL_MACHINE and CURRENT_USER.

In order to copy files to the Program Files folder and write to LOCAL_MACHINE, we have found it necessary to mark the setup program with "Run as administrator". However, this causes problems when copying files to the current user (invoker) folder and CURRENT_USER registry. Is the InstallShield/MSI installer able to understand when an operation requires the security level elevated vs. when it should use the current invoker's security level? Right now it's using the Admin account for installing everything.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:57

For a better understanding of UAC and the context switching for MSI setups I recommend a series of articles in Robert Flaming's blog (the link points to the last article in the series which has the table of contents).

Using InstallScript MSI instead of pure Basic MSI probably adds to the complexity.

PhilipTheInstaller

PhilipTheInstaller
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 21:55

Thank you for your response. I have reviewed your reference and found it to be very informative.

I'm concluding that "Required execution level" MUST be set to Administrator in a Installscript MSI project, because even a simple one fails without it set. I'm guessing that installation of the InstallShied engine/support requires it. I wrote a simple Basic MSI project and it elevated security at the proper time (when copying a file to Program Files), but the Installscript MSI project will produce an error if "Required execution level" is not set to Administrator. Can anyone comment on this? If this is the case, then shame on InstallShield corporation.

PhilipTheInstaller

PhilipTheInstaller
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 22:55

I just found this on the Installshield 12 site: http://community.ins...execution level

"It sounds like there's some room for clarification and such. Are you using an InstallScript MSI project? Right now (beta build) it needs administrative permission to complete successfully. We hope to resolve those needs by RTM so, like basic msi projects, ISMSI projects can be installed as a limited user."

Very sad that Macrovision has hidden this from us, and cost me so much time. What a terrible experience with them (unlike versions 5 and 6).