This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Shared Access database

3 replies to this topic

JoeF

JoeF
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2001 - 15:42

I'm using the Windows Installer to create an install for an application of ours that includes a shared Access database. One machine is set up as a server and has the database in a directory that is shared, the others are clients and connect to the share.

I'm having a problem deciding where on the hard disk  of the server machine the database should go. I know it's frowned upon to put it in the application's own directory in ProgramFiles now so where is the correct place?

Should it go in a subdirectory of CommonAppDataFolder or somewhere like that? I've read the Logo requirements but I can't quite decide what category a database like this would fit into.

AndrewWalker

AndrewWalker
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2001 - 20:41

I would have a structure like this:

\Program Files\CompanyName\Product\Program
(for executables)
\Program Files\CompanyName\Product\Data
(for the database)

I believe what's frowned on is:
\Program Files\CompanyName\Product
(for everything!)

The Common area typically is for things shared by different applications, not by the server and client portions of the same app.

Does that make sense?

Joe Fegan

Joe Fegan
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 10:56

I used the directory structure suggested above and put my Access database in Program Files\ProductName\Data but on Windows 2000 normal users can't modify it because they don't have permission to modify anything under Program Files. Given that, I'll ask the same question again.

Where on the server should the shared database go so that it will be modifiable by all users? Maybe a subdirectory of CommonAppDataFolder?