This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Repair - Forcing re-install instead of repair

4 replies to this topic

nburgess

nburgess
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:47

Is there anyway, when Repair is selected for an MSI, to force the MSI Repair to completely un-install then re-install the app, instead of doing a normal repair?

I ask this because I have an MSI that installs fine, but whenever a Repair is selected by the user, the Repair breaks the app and only an un-install/re-install of the MSI cures it.

Anyone know of a way to make a Repair do an un-install/re-install of the app?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 16:42

In what way does it break the application?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:21

Maybe you are writing some property values to registry which are based on user input, and therefore are not set (empty) during a repair where the dialog isn't shown? The solution in this case is to read the existing entry at the beginning of the repair, using the AppSearch and RegLocator tables.

nburgess

nburgess
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 15:04

Stefan, the application strangley goes from being fully licensed to an evaluation copy whenever a repair is done, I will check the reglocator and appsearch tables, this may give some clues, many thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:58

And how does you application decide whether it's a fully licensed or an evaluation copy? Maybe based on a registry entry (serial number for instance)?