This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

error 1606. cannot access network location

4 replies to this topic

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:27

Hi again,

I seem to have one issue after another with this installer I've building.

It works great on my test computers and I've released it to the testers at work, and so far so good. But the owner of the company tested it on his Win7, and got this error: Error 1606. Could not access network location www.ourcompany.com/test/product~.cab.

I've tested it several times on the Win7 test computer and can't replicate it. All of the other discussions I've seen about this point to an invalid path in the directory. But I am not convinced that there is an invalid path because why would the installer work perfectly on many different computers and operating systems, and not work on his?

Any other ideas? Could it be purely from a bad connection to the server that it was having problems downloading that particular .cab file?

Thanks!

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:24

You can try and work with a web debugger like fiddler2 and see from where exactly your installer tries to download the cab. I think this will also indicate to you if there is a connection problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:29

So you are running this setup from the web over a http connection? Does the LocalSystem account have web access?

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 17:38

thanks, lilache. i don't know that the fiddler2 will help me since i know where it's trying to download the cab file from, and it does so just fine on my test computer. i would have to do that on his computer, right? and that's not really possible right now.

yeah, stefan, this installer is downloaded from our company website, it has 2 prerequisites, it downloads and installs those from our website (those are compressed into a single setup.exe), and then once it's done that, it resumes with installation. This installer is a webmedia type that downloads the .msi and separate .cab files for each feature from the same server that the 2 prerequisite installers are on, and his computer is able to access those installers fine, so I'm assuming the LocalSystem does have access.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 19:00

Note that part of the install runs in the context of the logged on user account, and part runs in the context of LocalSystem. So netwok access, firewalls, etc. might be different.
Also the downloading process (setup.exe for prerequisites, or msiexec for CABs) is different, so different firewall exceptions may apply.