This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setting Multi language folder permissions

4 replies to this topic

rkode

rkode
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:18

New to IS 2010 Premier.

I need to make my msi run on a French language version of XP Professional.

I assign permissions to the various folders that my msi creates.
And I do that, via the folder permission dialog within the IDE.
I simply choose the group name and then whatever permissions I want the folder to have.

Here's my confusion.

The user Groups on a French language version of XP are spelled differently.

When assigning permissions, how does one go about assigning permissions to various groups when one is unsure of their exact spelling.
IE:
English: Administrator
French: Administrateurs

An the author of the MSI do I NEED to know the spellings ?
Or is there some way to get around this ?

When in the IDE, all of MY group names appear in English.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ray in Wisconsin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:39

Some group names are handled automatically by Windows Installer - see help topic LockPermissions.

For all other there's a merge module that gets the localized group names from the operating system and stores them in properties which you ccan use. You can find the mosule at http://www.installsi...en/msi/tips.htm under "Using the LockPermissions Table on Localized Windows Versions"

rkode

rkode
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:25

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check that MM out.

What do you know about the General Information, Lock-down permission, setting ?

For years, I have always used the default value of "Traditional Windows Installer handling",

But I sees that if, I select the "Custom" option, the verbiage (on the bottom of the IDE) indicates that IS will handling everything for me.
IE: No CA or MM required.

Does that make sense to you ?

Your well informed on this things.
So I would value your thoughts on this.

Thanks again for your response.

Ray in Wisconsin

rkode

rkode
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 22:55

Happy “year end”. 

I have had success with setting the "General Information", Lock-down permission, setting, to use the "Custom Installshield Handling" option".

When I do this, my MSI no longer experiences issues applying permissions to folders and such, if run on non-English versions of Windows XP.

Utilizing the above option, I have successfully run my .MSI on English, French and Spanish versions of Windows XP, and Vista without issue.

Maybe others will have the same success.
(And not need to code the exact names of the various User groups or include additional merge modules or CA's in order to get the job done.)

Thanks again for the earlier response.

Case closed !

Ray in Wisconsin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:55

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I think the current version of IstallShield uses a similar method. However I'm not sure in which version this was introduced, so for those who don't have this option, they can still use the merge module.