This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Passing Parameters in a text file CMDline Install

5 replies to this topic

ameer

ameer
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 17:16

Hello Friends,

I am very new to this tool, I would like to install my software in silent mode.

All the required paramets i'll pass in a separate text file or .ini file.

Is it possible to run the msi in silent mode by taking the parameters from the text file?

Thanks in advance.

Ameer

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:00

It's hard to know why you'd want to to complicate things, but I can't see why normal DOS redirection wouldn't work:

MSIEXEC /i [path to and name of MSI] < [path to and name of parameter file]
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

ameer

ameer
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 15:33

Thanks for reply Friend,

actually my software is having two parts.

1) Main Installer - Installs the complete product
2) Reports Installer - Install the crystal related stuff

These two will come from different teams. I need to concentrate a bit on Main Instalellr. For the crystal one I wouild like to pass all the required parameters from a text file\ini file.

I have to pass few parameters like "Install folder" etc. I would like to send these in a text file so that my crystal installer will detect\read form the ini and install in silent mode (without GUI).

ameer

ameer
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 15:54

I am passing Install Directory location like below. But it is not getting installed.

msiexec.exe /qn /I "C:\MSI\some.msi" /l*v SilentLogFile.txt ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR=D:\Folder

Am i missing anything in the above statement, please help me.

Edited by ameer, 26 December 2007 - 15:54.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 13:34

What's in the log?
Is the destination of your components set to INSTALLDIR (or maybe using some other directory property, like TARGETDIR or whatever)?

ameer

ameer
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 18:27

Awesome..you make my day.

Modifed the command line like below and I am able to get all the files.

msiexec.exe /qn /I "D:\Crystal\CrystalReportXI.msi" /l*v SilentLogFile.txt ALLUSERS=1 TARGETDIR=D:\123

Thanks Stefan.