This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Status after aborting a major upgrade installation

3 replies to this topic

sookie

sookie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:22

Hi,

I have an existing installation of a product and have to deploy a major upgrade.

Now let's assume the user hits the cancel button in GUI mode or some condition in a CA causes an abort of the installation while new files are getting copied onto the machine.

When the setup performs the rollback - what will be the status of the installation (keeping in mind I had an existing installation of the previous release)?

What I am experiencing is that
- previous release gets uninstalled
- new files are getting copied
- cancel / abort happens (user interaction or condition in CA causing an abort)
- rollback happens
- neither previous nor current release are installed
- in GUI mode a dialog box appears stating that the assistant was interrupted before the setup could complete - the system was not changed

What I am confused about is the last statement that the system was not changed. After trying to perform a major upgrade which gets interrupted leaving no more installed release at all on the machine looks pretty much changed to me...

Or do we have a misleading statement here that would be true if I was just trying to install a new release from the scratch (no update but a new installation) - saying that nothing was installed before, nothing is installed now?

Is there any chance a rollback while performing the major upgrade could go back to the previously installed version?

Confused,
Oliver.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 13:21

It depends on the place of RemoveExistingProducts in the InstallExecuteSequence.
When a rollback occurs, the system is rolled back to the situation it had while processing InstallInitialize. So if you sequence RemoveExistingProducts after InstallInitialize, any rollback will restore the older product.

sookie

sookie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 14:08

D'oh! wink.gif

You're right.
RemoveExistingProducts is located right before InstallInitialize. I'm not sure if I want that. rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

Oliver.

sookie

sookie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:06

Just some background information on that one:
MSDN about RemoveExistingProducts Action

Oliver.