This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer has "memory"?

10 replies to this topic

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 20:59

Hi,

I have an installer script that I have been working on for years. Recently it started to act up and behaved like it had some kind of "memory".

For example, I had a Custom Action during uninstall but later on I removed it from the script. However, for all subsequent builds of the installer, that particular Custom Action keeps getting called! I do not understand why this is happening as the Custom Action was removed from the script.

Please help. Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 18:45

Did you change the PackageCode? It should change each time you build your setup.

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 20:49

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-02-12 18:45)
Did you change the PackageCode? It should change each time you build your setup.

I use Wise so I believe it is called ProductCode instead of PackageCode? If so, yes, it is changed while UpgradeCode stays the same.

Thanks!

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 23:53

One more thing, it is also a Custom Action that returns errors and failed. To give you more details, it is an action that calls "regsvr32.exe" from a folder that does not exist anymore. The error will go away if I manually copy the file regsvr32.exe to the folder where it expected regsvr32.exe. But after I removed the file and the uninstall would call that again and failed.

Again, and I do not have that Custom Action which calls "regsvr32.exe" anymore. I do not understand why it keeps doing that.

Thanks.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:16

QUOTE (quakey @ 2008-02-12 20:49)
QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-02-12 18:45)

I use Wise so I believe it is called ProductCode instead of PackageCode? If so, yes, it is changed while UpgradeCode stays the same.

Thanks!

Er, no, PackageCode and ProductCode are two different things. Check out WPS's help.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:19

Ok. I finally got around to change the PackageCode in Wise but the problem still persists. Please help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:45

Does the install work properly on a clean machine where the previous version hadn't been installed before?
Oen the built .msi file with a tool like Orca and verify that the custom action is not included in it.
A log file (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm) might also help.

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 21:42

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-02-19 12:45)
Does the install work properly on a clean machine where the previous version hadn't been installed before?
Oen the built .msi file with a tool like Orca and verify that the custom action is not included in it.
A log file (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm) might also help.

Hi,

We just tried it on a clean XP machine and the same problem occurred! Unbelievable. I also opened the MSI in Orca and I didn't see the entries pertaining to that error under Custom Action table.

Please help! Thanks.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:31

QUOTE (quakey @ 2008-02-19 21:42)
We just tried it on a clean XP machine and the same problem occurred! Unbelievable. I also opened the MSI in Orca and I didn't see the entries pertaining to that error under Custom Action table.

Have you run the install with verbose logging? That will show which action is causing the problem. I'd bet a significant amount that it's an action calling a function in a DLL: lots of vendors like to hide what their MSIs get up to in ths way. Quite why they'd want to be calling RegSvr32 against a DLL, counter to accepted Windows Installer practice - MSIs should use the advertising tables - escapes me.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

quakey

quakey
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 23:07

QUOTE (VBScab @ 2008-02-20 09:31)
QUOTE (quakey @ 2008-02-19 21:42)

Have you run the install with verbose logging? That will show which action is causing the problem. I'd bet a significant amount that it's an action calling a function in a DLL: lots of vendors like to hide what their MSIs get up to in ths way. Quite why they'd want to be calling RegSvr32 against a DLL, counter to accepted Windows Installer practice - MSIs should use the advertising tables - escapes me.

Just a side note, is there any tutorial on reading the verbose log? It is SO long everytime I look at it. Thanks.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 13:07

There's a link to the SDK which contains WiLogUtl.exe, an analyser here. You might find this helpful, too. In fact, that whole site contains some useful stuff.

Edited by VBScab, 26 February 2008 - 13:09.