This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

features end up as advertised after patch

4 replies to this topic

sstange

sstange
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:08

I am having a problem with applying patches.

I am using REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus in the cmdline argument to
MsiApplyPatch().

The patch applies w/o error, but my features show up as advertised instead of installed. They were "installed" before.

msiexec.exe is: Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

I also get the same result when applying the patch directly using:
msiexec /p patch.msp REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /L*v log.txt

Any ideas on why features would go from "installed" to "advertised" as a result of patching?

Thanks,

Steve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 15:30

Look for SELMGR errors in the log. I bet you removed a component from the setup.

sstange

sstange
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:47

Stefan,

Thanks for the quick answer!

That was indeed the problem. I had not noticed it, because the are not "errors" ie., the word "Error" is not included in the lines that notify you of this problem.

I updated my baseline to a more stable build (this is all still in development...) that had all the same components as what I was trying to patch to, and it all just worked.

I would have spent many days figuring this out, had it not been for your answer.

Thanks again, and hope this helps someone else as well.

Steve

Peter Jackson

Peter Jackson
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:19

I am having this same problem with a minor upgrade. None of the components (files) get replaced (writen to install location). Advertise does me no good since none of the binaries in my installer are user invoked (service and drivers). I did remove a couple of components but find no SELMGR in my log file (/L*vx).

Why would a feature not upgrade its components simply because one was removed? Is this MSI desired behavior or do they have a bug?

PeterJ

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 17:03

This is a design limitation of Windows Installer. You are not allowed to remove a component from the msi in a Minor Update. Such a change requires a Major Upgrade. This is documented, so it's "by design".