This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install same product twice

2 replies to this topic

jsalil

jsalil
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:40

Hi ppl,
I have a group of different setups, each corrsoponding to a product.There is one "Master setup", which pops up a UI prompting the user to select different products to be installed. It then calls the corrosponding setup.exes using DoInstall().
In the first run,user installed product A on say C:\A.
The next time, I have to provide a facility so that the user can install the same product on the same machine in some other folder, say C:\A1.
Can i do this? If so, how?
The problem is that the first time I have installed it in C:\A, I cannot install it again in C:\A1 before uninstalling the already installed porduct.
Is it possible to install the same product twice?

Please help...

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:22

Do you want to have two copies of the code on the machine? if so you will need to change the product code/packagecode/upgrade code for each version. This will allow the same product to be installed theoretically twice, and the install will think it is two different products becuase the codes have changed.

If you want to have one version of the code, but have two installs using it, you will need to use a Merge Module which both installs can use and install as seperate installs. This will create reference counts of your code, so it is refered to by the two installs.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:23

Just to add, be wary of changing the upgrade code. Make sure your two different streams have the a different upgrade code, but this will not change between versions. This will allow you to upgrade each of the streams with newer versions.