This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

limited access time for installed software

1 reply to this topic

Donzer

Donzer
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 16:24

huh.gif Hi all

I have had a request from a colleague who would like to install a demo version of our software but limit the time for 3 or 6 months once installed. i.e. we want the system to report that the license is out of date and not permit access to the software.

I am sure you should be able to do this in installshield (I have seen it on games etc.,). I have Installshield 8 (service pack 2).

I am unsure where to start looking for this so if anyone can give me any pointers ....

huh.gif OH also - the CD KEY that you can request as part of the install .... Can this be linked to a particular installation eg ...

cd key 1 : install project 1
cd key 2 : install software 2
cd key 3 : install demo version...

I think it would be helpful for our company as then we can have 3 demo styles on the one cd and depending on the cd key issued to the user will depend on what they can install.

Please help ....

thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:29

The demo installation protection would probably involve writing the installation date to "somewhere hidden" in the registry (usually HKCR) in some sort of encrypted format. Then you would read back the value the next time the setup is run and check if the previous installation date is "out of scope". Then you would just pop up a message box if installation is not allowed.

As to the CD-KEY stuff... I would create a small EXE (either a custom EXE or a small setup) which will invoke the correct setup depending on the CD-key entered. The alternative would be to use a single setup and set the feature state depending on the key. This should be possible to do, but would be more work.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul