This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

reinstallproblem win98

1 reply to this topic

Eva

Eva
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 13:13

Hi,

I made an installation package which replaces a dll if the product already is installed. After completed installation I need to restart the computer so that the new dll will be used. this works fine on win2000, but on win98 the filename is replaced with the ms-dos filename after reboot. Hence, my program cannot find the dll.

Can anyone PLEASE help me!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 17:33

I assume the DLL is loaded into memory ("locked") at install time, and therefore a reboot is required to update it. This only works with 8.3 file names, it is a limitation in the Windows 9x operating systems. Long file name support is not yet available at the time the rename operation occurs during reboot. Did you notice that Microsoft always uses 8.3 file names for their products?
I can see only two workarounds: make sure the file is not loaded at install time (close all other applications) or change the file name to 8.3.