This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action

7 replies to this topic

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 15:37

Hi there,

I’m coming with a question, can be called an Custom Action during Patch uninstallation?
I conditioned the CA with “MsiPatchRemovalList”. The CustomAction is not present in the main installer; it was added only in patch. This is the first patch, which is going to be applied.
I have already forgot, I’m using IS 11 and Basic MSI project. The patch is created from Patch Design.

Thank you for the support.

Later Edit:

I know that in order to run custom actions during patch uninstall, you must define a patch uninstall custom action in the original product installation package or in a patch that is not removable and will always be installed.

But how can I create two patches, of curse, the first not removable (which must not contain any modification, only to contain the CA), to install in the same time?
Actually, I want also , in add/remove to appear only the second patch, the one which can be uninstall.

The only way when it worked was when i have installed separatly the pathces, the first one which does nothing, contain only the CA. And then, the second one, which contains in addition some atoher modifications.
When I uninstalled the last patch applied, the CA was executed.

I think i have don't create corectly the patches ... the multipel pathces or I don't know.

Any help is welcomed.

Edited by sebica79, 30 November 2005 - 16:24.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 18:15

Even if you install multiple patches in one transaction they will get listed in Add/Remove Programs separately.
Have you tried this: Put both patches in the same familiy, the uninstallable patch with a higher sequence number, and marked to supercede previous patches. Thus your uninstallable patch would supercede the CA patch so that the latter doesn't get applies (and hopefully also not listed in ARP). Now when you uninstall the second patch, the CA patch is no longer superceded and gets applied.
Of course yuo will have to adjust the conditon on your custom action for this.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 14:46

Hi there,

Thank for the answer. I have some problems when I’m trying to create two patches in the same Family range, because automatically, the family is increased by one, every timer when a new Patch Configuration is created. Even if I’m trying to create, in the same Patch Configuration, another New Latest Setup.
I need a little lite on my road, because I don’t know exactly how to create the patches. I have to create, from Patch Design, two Product Configurations. In each Product Configuration, I have to link to the same GM Release on Previous link, and only the latest setup build to differ.
Or I have to create in the same Product Configuration, two New Latest Setup?
I was asking for those steps, because maybe something wrong I’m doing every time and that’s why I didn’t got the right result.

Thank you very much !!!

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:18

Hi there,

I'm trying to find another workaround ... as we already know, to implement a "uninstall patch CA" with only one patch, the CA must be included in the base package, because the content of a removed patch must include in the memory product view while uninstall.
Actually, I have changed only the condition for the CA that was initial defined in the base package, but still doesn’t worked.
I have used exactly the following syntax for the condition “MsiPatchRemovalList” and the CA is not executed during patch uninstall. I have tried also with the following condition MsiPatchRemovalList <> “” still no luck.
Those conditions are applied to SetARPINSTALLLOCATION CustomAction, which set the ARPINSTALLLOCATION property. Because it is present in the base package, with the “Not Installed” condition, I have modified only the condition in the patch, but with no luck, the CA it is still not executed during patch uninstall.

Please, I would like to give me some ideas, what is wrong here, could be the way a used the condition or something else.

Thank you for the attention.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 21:53

Have you tried with "" instead of “” ?

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 15:23

Yes, I have tried, but still no luck. I don't what some thing else I can do related to execution of a CA during Patch Uninstall.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:46

Generate a verbose log to see what's really going on and how the condition evaluate.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 17:20

I have renounced at this idea. I have tried to make something else, another type of upgrade where is no need for this custom action executed during patch uninstall.

Anyway … for me, the problem is still open, because I have tried also an sample at it still doesn’t work
huh.gif