This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Rant: What the heck is going on with MDAC and Jet?

12 replies to this topic

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 17:53

I'm a long-time Access developer getting ready to finish my first VB6 application. Its a small little ditty that needs to look at several Access97 tables as it runs and the user makes choices. Anyway, I'm in the throes of creating an installation solution for it.

<RANT ON>MS is no longer including Jet in the MDAC redistributable as of version 2.6. Why not? I can't find *any* reference *anywhere* as to their reason for this. To make matters worse, if I want to use the Visual Studio Installer, I have to use the wrapper.exe kludge to get MDAC installed in the process, using a pre-2.6 version of MDAC. But what happens if MDAC 2.6 is already on the machine, and no previous version (and therefore, no Jet version) has been installed on it, which will probably happen when Windows XP come out? How do I make the installer run the redistributable Jet 4.0 SP3 setup?

o     I've explored switching from ADO to DAO, but DAO still needs MDAC.
o     I looked at using the older Visual Basic P&D Wizard, but there's still that MDAC 2.6 cloud hanging over my solution.
o     Installshield looks viable: it looks like they have Merge Modules for Access97 & 2K, and for various flavors of MDAC, but again, what happens when a machine out there has only ever had MDAC 2.6+ on it and never Jet? And then there's the price (which I wouldn't mind if I knew I'd be doing alot more VB6 development).

I can't imagine I'm the *only* person in the world wondering what the heck is going on. It seems like there are so many VB apps out there that use Jet databases, why would MS pull the rug out from under them? Are they trying to force developers into using desktop SQL 7/2K (a.k.a. MSDE)? I mean, why come up with a decent tool like the new VS Installer and leave out a huge chunk of functionality like support for actually *installing* (and not just "checking for") MDAC , not to mention Jet, by not having MS-supplied .msm files for them?

Anybody? Bueller? Anyone? :-)

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 14:51

OK, people have read this but have no responses... am I just clueless? ;) Does anyone have the same concerns as I do?

Barco

Barco
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 22:17

Please have a look at this site:
http://www.createbit.com/msm.html

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2001 - 13:37

Thanks, I actually found that Thursday and it helps a little. I think it's great that people like this have the time/ability/charity :) to contribute something like this.
I'm still baffled as to why Microsoft is proceeding this way, especially with no real explanation. If they want to push developers toward MSDE, they could at least tell us outright, but also realize/acknowledge that MSDE is overkill for a lot of lightweight apps that Jet is perfectly suited for.

Barco

Barco
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 11:41

...that people? That was me! So please, go on this page
http://www.createbit.com/msm_e.html
and write a criticism to microsoft! This will (i hope so) be help for many developers. I have many accesses on this page, but only one criticism. So to everybody: write!!!

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 13:47

LOL that was you? Well good :-) Is it alright if I just cut and paste my above rant into your website?

Barco

Barco
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 16:59

Yes, that would be OK.
By the way:
Is there a MSDE.MSM and mdac or Jet inside of it?

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 17:26

Do you mean an MSDE.MSM *with* mdac and/or Jet inside it? I have no idea. I would guess probably not, though.

stevechapman

stevechapman
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 20:24

BadDog, had same problem, but am only using ISExpress. I run the mdac26enu.msm. Then as a custom action following installation I ran the Jet 4.0 SP3.exe.

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 20:32

That's a good idea, Steve, and that's probably what I'll do, too... I ended up buying ISE 3.5 last week :-)

Barco

Barco
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 14:21

stevechapman,
where can I get Jet 4.0 SP3.exe? Is this only a SP or completly with Jet 4.0? I thought, i can install Jet with mdac_typ.exe only!
Barco

BadDog

BadDog
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 17:34

New versions of mdac_typ.exe no longer contain Jet.... you install the Jet service pack after installing one of these new mdac_typ versions....

stevechapman

stevechapman
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 20:34

It is from the Microsoft developer site.
Complete set of Jet 4.0 components. Instructions and more data at the URL:
http://support.micro...271/9/08.ASP<p>