This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade runs with no errors but does nothing

4 replies to this topic

clareb

clareb
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 15:02

Well this is my first major upgrade that Im trying to do in IS 2.03 ohmy.gif !

However, I think I have done everything that I should according to all the resources, however the final outcome, runs with no errors, but doesnt do anything. It doesn't remove the previous product, install new files, run scripts, it does nothing! mad.gif

So what have I done? The following:

change product guid
change package guid
didn't change the upgrade code
change product version from 1.0 to 1.00.0003 (this has product already has 2 minor patches)
Added an entry in the upgrade table with the upgrade code for both the new and old version, the versions completed, attribute of 513 and actionproperty to OLDPRODUCTS.
I've added a property of SecureCustomProperties = OLDPRODUCTS to the property manager.
Set check versions options to Do Not Check and No to the Product code should be the same.

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed something completely obvious? HELP PLEASE!

I've attached a log that I product running the command:
c:\update.exe /v"/L c:\mylog.log

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 15:40

Do you have RemoveExistingProducts in your execute sequence?
You are creating a Major Upgrade. Are you trying to build a .msp patch for this? This is known to be problematic. Major Upgrades should better be distributed as full install packages.

clareb

clareb
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 16:50

Yes I have placed the RemoveExistingProducts after the InstallFinalise action in the sequence.

Erm as regards whether I'm building a .msp patch or not, I'm creating a update.exe if thats what you mean. Do you class that as a full install package or as a .msp patch, sorry getting a bit confused? blink.gif

If I have got it wrong, how do I product a full install package. I basically want to upgrade the existing package with new files etc, I couldn't get a minor patch to work, so I've opted for trying a mayor patch.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 17:35

If you go thorugh the Patch wizard, you're building a patch.
If you simply build a release that can also be used for a first time, full install, then you have a full install package that you can install on top of the old version (old version will automatically be uninstalled in this case). Option 2 will of course result in a larger media size.

clareb

clareb
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:13

Thats fantastic, it's working now I've changed it to a full install rather than a patch. Which is unfortunate but hey it works thats all i care about.

Many thanks Stefan your a star! biggrin.gif

Edited by clareb, 26 September 2003 - 10:13.