This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Force Reboot from Merge Module

6 replies to this topic

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 18:36

Hello Folks,

I am using IS2008 working on a merge module for Windows Vista. There needs to be a reboot after the module is installed, so, we wanted that to be in the merge module.

I have tried a few things that I know:

1. Set the REBOOT property to "F" from a custom action in the module. This does not seem to work.

2. Set REBOOT property to "F" in the property table in the module. This doesn't seem to work either.

3. Created a custom action which calls ISScheduleReboot() within the merge module. This also does not seem to work.

I am starting to think that maybe this is not something that a module should do?

If anyone knows the proper way to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 13:15

Did you try the ScheduleReboot standard action instead of InstallShield's ISScheduleReboot?
When setting the REBOOT property, did you make sure it didn't get appended with the module GUID (open the .msm in Orca to check)?

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:59

Hi Stefan,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, thanks for your reply.

When I add the REBOOT property directly to the property table and look at it in Orca, the module GUID is appended to it in the same way it is for all of the properties.

I was under the impression that this approach should work since the property tables of the module get mashed together with the parent installer table at runtime. I guess this is not the case?

For ScheduleReboot, I am not sure exactly how that would be used from a merge module, is this something I would create a CA for, or would it be inserted somewhere using the direct editor?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 14:44

You would have to remove the module guid from the REBOOT property in the msm.

For the ScheduleReboot action I'm not sure it will work, but take a look at the ModuleInstallExecuteSequence table which is normally used for custom actions.

Another option would be to call ScheduleReboot in the main setup based on a property which you set in the merge module.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:28

Hi Stefan,

This problem ended up resolving itself (the developers decided that a reboot was not really needed ...), but, I wanted to know the answer anyway.

I could not get ScheduleReboot to work at all from the merge module. This may be something that I am doing wrong.

However, removing the appended module Guid from the REBOOT property did solve the overall problem.

I wonder why this is? I have other shared properties within modules that I don't even have to think about, yet this one had to be treated specially.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Michael J. Pento

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:31

Usually, all properties oyu define in the module get the guid appended. This si a recommended standard to avoid clashes with similar names properties in the main msi.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 17:17

Ok, I think I understand.

Once the Guid has been appended, the REBOOT property would no longer be the same as a REBOOT property that is supplied in the parent installer. Removing the Guid makes it appear as normal when the property tables are merged.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento