This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Animated progress bar

4 replies to this topic

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 15:57

Hi,

I want the current progress bar within a basic msi setup, behave like an animated progress bar... something simular like the progress bar on the windows bootscreen behaves or the windows file search(a snake that appears and disappears as long as a particular action is happening).

Has someone any idea where to start?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Edited by Christoph, 26 June 2007 - 15:57.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 15:02

Not sure what exactly you mean, but Windows Installer is quite limited in UI options, so I guess it's not possible.
Note that Windows boot or Search are actions with undetermined duration so the progress "cycles" without giving any indication of the percentage of progress. Windows Installer however tries to estimate how long the copy proceess will take and the progress bar indicated the percentage of files copied, so it should be done when the bar reaches the right end - I know it's not always accurate, and there may be additional (custom) actions that happen after 100%.

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 15:32

Hi Stefan,

what I want to do is implementing a progress bar that is continu looping, so when it reaches the end, it starts again clean from the beginning.

I don't have my files within features are components so the progress is not linked to the copy action. I want to control the progress bar myself, without any link to any custom action.

As I think I want something like this:

function int CA_InitProgress(hMSI)

begin
//initialize everything and sets the progress bar at the beginning
end

function int CA_StartAddingTicks(hMSI)

begin
//begin to add ticks to the progress bar control, with lets say a delay of 2 seconds between 2 ticks
//begin again from zero when the end is reached
end

function int CA_EndProgress(hMSI)

begin
//de-initialize everything.
end

Any idea if this is possible?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:30

As far as I know: no. Also I don't quite understand why you are using a custom action to install the files. What's the point of using Windows Installer in this case?

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:51

Explaining everythin from A to Z will bring me to far but within our installer we have:
1. files that needs to be copied 2 times to a different targetlocation
2. 1000 of files that needs to be copied and are often updated at the last moment. We don't want to wait another 2 ours for making a build. Therefore they are stored inside folders outside the installer.
3. ....

Let's say that we have an installer that is not all day installer development. smile.gif

I wanted to use all the advantages of windows installer with the flexibility of Installscript within some places. I think I found a balance here but I still need to figure out how to handle certain things... like the progressbar question here.

However, thanks for your input.