This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Detecting IIS on Vista 64 bit OS

1 reply to this topic

anitalf

anitalf
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 16:12

I have a setup that installs a 32 bit web app -
The setup needs to find if specific IIS components are installed for IIS 7.0
On 32 OS we can find this information in the registry
on 64 bit OS - the information is not reflected in the WOW64 registry info
We would like to ship one setup that installs this app on 32 OR 64 bit - how can I find the IIS 7 component information on a 64 bit OS

The only solution that I've found is to use managed code that is compiled natively that I launch as a custom action. However, Microsoft does not recommend to use managed code in a msi installer.

Does anyone have a solution to make this work without creating a 64 bit installer?

I've tried SystemSearch, a custom c++ dll, a WISE script, none of them work because they all search the 32-bit registry.

Thank you for your help.

ilengyel

ilengyel
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:34

We recently done this in an InstallScript custom action by setting the REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY flag in the REGDB_OPTIONS (this is documented in the help). Note the Flag is ignored if it is run on a 32-bit machine.

here's the code:
CODE

bRequiredAuthenticationFound = FALSE;
sIISComponentReg = "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\InetStp\\Components";
nCurrREGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS;

// Check required authentication. If it is a 64 bit machine
// Look at the 64-bit part of the registry.
REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS | REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY;
RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);
if RegDBKeyExist(sIISComponentReg) = 1 then  

if (RegDBGetKeyValueEx(sIISComponentReg, "BasicAuthentication", nRegType, sRegValue, nSize) = 0) then
  if sRegValue = "1" then
   bRequiredAuthenticationFound = TRUE;
  endif;
 elseif (RegDBGetKeyValueEx(sIISComponentReg, "WindowsAuthentication", nRegType, sRegValue, nSize) = 0) then
  if sRegValue = "1" then
   bRequiredAuthenticationFound = TRUE;
  endif;
 endif;  

endif;
REGDB_OPTIONS = nCurrREGDB_OPTIONS;

For C/C++ there are similar flags you can use for the RegOpenKeyEx function: http://msdn.microsof...129(VS.85).aspx