This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how do I check IE version in Visual Studio Installer?

3 replies to this topic

matt hargett

matt hargett
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 05:32

I saw in another document on this site (great resource, btw) on how to check the IE version by editing some tables. I'd like to do that, but can't figure out how to get to that point in VSI. If anyone has any idea how I can do this in VSI, or how I can do it in Orca and get Orca's changes into the VSI project, let me know!

Thanks!

jstream

jstream
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 10:21

Matt,

You'll notice that one of the files in a VSI project is *.wip. Try opening it in Orca and you'll notice it is an msi file. You can make some changes there and they may appear in the msi file that is the build output.

However another approach that is less of a hack is to create an empty Merge Module in VSI, build it, then edit the .msm in Orca. Now add rows to the AppSearch, DrLocator, Property and Signature tables (adding the tables when necessary) as described in InstallSite article that you've probably read http://www.installsi...5/SearchIE.htm. There's no point repeating that information in this post because the article describes version checking well.  You'll also need to add a property APPS_TEST with value 1 because VSI builds have a condition on the AppSearch action in the InstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence tables. Save your mini merge module, go back to your main Installer project and add the merge module, do a build and you've got an IE version check.

I didn't use a type 19 custom action and instead used a launch condition, but to do that I had to sequence AppSearch before LaunchConditions.

An alternative to using a merge module is to manually import some *.idt files (one for each table mentioned above) in Orca after every VSI build.

VSI doesn't provide many customisation facilities that assist complex installation tasks but using a merge module for file version checking seems like a reasonable approach. I hope it works for you,

Jason.

matt hargett

matt hargett
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 22:16

Excellent, thanks *very* much for your help!

I have one other question about VSI -- is it possible to add an entire directory structure recursively? The product I am working have many files in nested directories -- creating them all and them adding the files is a real pain. Is there any easier way to do that?

jstream

jstream
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2001 - 22:58

I haven't been in your situation with lots of nested directories. As far as I know I don't think there is a quick and easy way of recursively adding files in VSI. Sounds like it should be a wishlist item for future versions?