This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Version" column in File Table.

3 replies to this topic

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 17:45

Okay here's the scenario.

I have two merge modules. One with all files that have a "version" value of 1.0.1 in the File Table and the other with a "version" value of 1.0.

If I install the 1.0.1 merge module and then install the 1.0 merge module, the files 1.0.1 files are overwritten by the 1.0 even though it shouldn't be.

Does anyone know how windows installer handles knowing when files need to be updated or not?

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:15

Is 1.0.1 the real version of the file (stored in the version resource) or are you "lying" about the file version when you populate the File table?
A verbose log will also tell you about the results of the version comparison that Windows installer performs.

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 15:43

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-12-14 09:15)
Is 1.0.1 the real version of the file (stored in the version resource) or are you "lying" about the file version when you populate the File table?
A verbose log will also tell you about the results of the version comparison that Windows installer performs.

1.0.1 is just a made up version. Our tests indicate that the file itself needs to be updated to say 1.0.1 or whatever. Looks the file versioning needs to be updated at build/compile time.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 16:14

That's true. When installing, Windows Installer compares the version information in the current MSI package with the version of the existing file (not with the version that was specified in the MSI file that was used to install the existing version)