This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Exe is Getting blocked by Firewall after launched by LaunchAppAndWait

5 replies to this topic

aakash.tiwari12@gmail.com

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:18

Hi ,

After finishing the installation our installer should launch one exe.

It is launching properly but getting blocked by firewall of the system(windows 7,windows 8).

For launching i am using LaunchAppAndWait function.

Thanks,

Aakash

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:09

What is this EXE doing? Can it be embedded into the main application EXE?

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:33

Hi Glytzhkof

Actually this exe is FTPServer implementation. This should be launched when installation is finished regardless of starting main application.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 22:18

I have no experience with Firewall exception setups, but I know the Wix toolkit provides a special extension to deal with this issue:

Other tools such as Installshield surely have features that can set up firewall exceptions, and you should also be able to write a custom action to do so: http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:39

Hi ,

Thank you  all for your help. i have solved this issue by creating a custom action with condition to execute only at installation time.

In this custom action i am running a VB script provided by microsoft to unblock the firewall for the my application.

Microsoft Link

http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks and Regards,

Aakash

Edited by aakash.tiwari12@gmail.com, 09 April 2014 - 13:39.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 14:44

That's great. Have you also tested major upgrade scenarios? Another special case is patching. All these operations take place using the the same installation sequence (InstallExecuteSequence), and they will run all custom actions unless you condition them properly to not run.

I am rusty in these conditions, but it should be something like:

(NOT PATCH) AND (NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE) AND (NOT REMOVE=ALL) AND (NOT INSTALLED)

NOT PATCH = don't run during a patch operation

NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE = don't run during an uninstall triggered by a major upgrade

NOT REMOVE=ALL = don't run during a regular uninstall

NOT INSTALLED = don't run during a minor upgrade

I will need to check these conditions once I have time and access to my documents (don't have access to my script repository right now), but you can check them yourself by making a simulated upgrade. This is something you should always do when delivering a setup. You can also make the script itself smarter by realizing it has been run before (write to registry), or allow it to run and discover that the firewall settings are ok.

Edit: Just adding this link to a sheet with conditions  so you can verify the conditions on your own. It is too easy to make mistakes in those conditions, be careful.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 09 April 2014 - 14:49.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul