This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Migration from InstallShield 6.3 Professional

3 replies to this topic

Yehuda

Yehuda
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:43

I am a user of InstallShield 6.3 Professional in the current time for the application, developed in Visual C++, J++.

In the last time the application was converted into C#, that needs migration to the new installation instrument, that supports .NET installations.

The question is what instrument is more suitable for me - Developer or next version of Professional...
Yehuda

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 15:09

You current IS 6.3 Pro is customizable enough that it can be made to with .NET installations.  Just include Microsoft's redisritubutable .NET framework in your project, but with the proper InstallScript checking, so you don't unnecessarily apply it.

You're probably aware of that though and looking for more built-in support like a .NET runtime object.

Since Visual Studio .NET comes with a limited MSI-based installer (a.k.a. Windows Installer), Developer will _probably_ have what you need, but don't quote me on that.  This is a Pro forum after all.

Here's a good comparison of the various Windows Installer Authoring Tools.

user posted image

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 15:44

In my investigations this morning about the Windows Installer, I found it makes use of merge modules (.MSM), and of course, one's already exist for the .NET framework, so any MSI-based package would do.
user posted image

Yehuda

Yehuda
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 14:11

Thank you.
Yehuda