This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Sharing component between features in a PATCH ?

3 replies to this topic

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:02

Hi,

I have release an installation which was created with Developer 8.02, a basic msi project.
In this installation, I had a certain Feature that installed a certain Component (lets call it "comp_a").
Now I want to create a patch for that installation. In this patch, I want to make this component ("comp_a") also being installed with another feature. In other words - I want to share this component with onother feature (but in a patch - msp file).

Can it be done?
I have already several shared components between several features in my installation, but they all were set as shared between features when the original release was created.

Thanks.
unsure.gif

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:11

I dont think you can add a component to a feature during a patch. Why do you want to make the component shared??
Components always keep reference counts of themselves in the registry when they are installed

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:34

I need to make a component shared between features during the release of the patch (I cannot wait with this till the next major release of the product).
I did not find any metnioning about making a component shared between features during a PATCH creation.
Did anybody find such ?

unsure.gif

felltier-a

felltier-a
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:30

Hi there,

i know this is an old thread but is describing exactly what i have to do. At the moment some components are installed with one feature. Now i have to install these components with another feature. What would be the best way to do this? Just adding the components to the feature? What are the disadvantages? Both Features target to the same directory.

regards,
Udo