This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallScript Custom Actions failing to run.

2 replies to this topic

TrojanLL

TrojanLL
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 16:27

HI, hopefully someone can give me an idea of what's going on here.

I've got some InstallScript custom actions that need to modify/move files copied by the install, and one to execute an executable we install as part of our installation.

The InstallScript scripts are set up/exported as ExFn_xxxxcustomaction

The Custom Actions that execute them are sequenced after the InstallFiles action in the Install Execute Sequence and are configured as Deferred Execution Custom actions.

When I'm debugging, my Immediate Custom actions are debugged correctly, but all the actions set for Deferred Execution do not trigger the Script Debugger.

In the MSI Log, they simply say

MSI (s) (70:7C) [11:14:09:446]: Doing action: HandleLicenseFile
Action 11:14:09: HandleLicenseFile.
Action start 11:14:09: HandleLicenseFile.
HandleLicenseFile:
Action ended 11:14:09: HandleLicenseFile. Return value 1.

For each of the Custom Actions being called that fail to run.

The Immediate Execution Custom Actions that do run, have a full log of the script actions in the MSI Log.

If I enable the MSI Debugger in InstallShield, I get Errors indicating that ISSetup.dll is not present in the Temp Directory for each of the Deferred Execution actions that fail to run.

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 21:00

What version of InstallShield are you using?

I am using InstallShield 2008 and ran into the same problem. Seems there are global variables that are no longer passed between the User Sequence and the Execute Sequence. The work around was to setup CustomActionData property, you can find it in the help.

To get the installscript to debug I had to add 2 registry entries.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine12.0]
"DebugISCustomActions"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine14.0]

ConfigControl

TrojanLL

TrojanLL
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 21:04

QUOTE (ConfigControl @ 2008-06-03 21:00)
What version of InstallShield are you using?

I am using InstallShield 2008 and ran into the same problem. Seems there are global variables that are no longer passed between the User Sequence and the Execute Sequence. The work around was to setup CustomActionData property, you can find it in the help.

To get the installscript to debug I had to add 2 registry entries.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine12.0]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine14.0]

InstallShield 2008.

I eventually got it sorted out through CustomActionData to pass in the appropriate properties (InstallDir mostly) that weren't available.

Thanks.