This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Keeping 2nd user out.

3 replies to this topic

baking

baking
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 21:35

I have my app set up so that icons and registry settings are set up per-user, but other users are able to browse to the executable of the app and launch it from there. If the exe needs something from the registry, they are denied access. However, if the app can run on its own, other users can run it. Is there a way to keep other users from launching the exe?

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 15:57

Unless I've completely misunderstood your post (not unheard of!) - haven't you answered your own question? Just make sure the exe needs something from the registry, even if it's only a dummy value.

baking

baking
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 16:17

ianmw7,
Thanks for the reply.  I am a complete novice. How would I get an executable to require something from the registry?

In the meantime we have a band-aid: I created a Custom Action to run the cacls.exe command and set permissions for people only in the application group.

I also noticed there is a LockPermissions table under Power Editor.  Can that be used to set permissions?
Thanks again,
Brian