This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

INSTALLSCRIPT ENGINE MISSING

11 replies to this topic

sopra

sopra
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:57

Hello ,

When I try to install myapp.msi (basic MSI project with custom action) on a Windows 2000 Server (administrator profile), I get error:
"The Installscript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.MSI ...".

The release properties are avaible on the attached file.

Many thanks !

Laurent.

blink.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   94.5KB   714 downloads

Edited by sopra, 07 January 2004 - 11:46.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:21

Rebuild your setup and set the "Installscript Engine Location" to "Extract from Setup.exe" OR install the Installscript engine on the server by using the file "ISScript8.msi" from your Installshield Developer installation folder (search for the file).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

sopra

sopra
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:58

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your answer, but the same error is occured.
I want that my application has just one msi file, i think that i couldn't check the option "Extract engine from Setup.exe".
Is it possible to have just one msi installation file with installscript Engine inside ?

Many thanks,

Laurent.

sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:10

Can you confirm that the following is true:
1. this is a "Basic MSI" project, not a "InstallScript MSI"
2. you have created one or more custom actions in InstallScript
3. You selected not to create a setup.exe launcher

In this case I believe you need to include the InstallScript Engine merge module. Did you select this module?
(Ususally setup.exe will install the engine so the merge module is not required, but if you don't want setup.exe but just a .msi file you need the module)

sopra

sopra
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:19

Hello and happy new year Stefan ! biggrin.gif

Excuse me for my late reply but I couldn't answer you before today ...

I've another question about your last answer :
In InstallShield Developper 8 there are three InstallShield Merge Modules :

-> InstallShield Merge Module for MSDE 1.0
-> InstallShield Scripting Engine 8.0
-> InstallShield Update Service

- Which module must I select to use "InstallScript Engine Merge Module" ?
- What are change effects (display, invisible effect, ...) when I include a Merge Module ?

Many thanks !!!!

Laurent. sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:40

The InstallShield Scripting Engine module.
There should be no visisble effect, but the InstallScript engine will get installed on the target computer.

sopra

sopra
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 17:12

Thank you Stefan for your help,

But I've got another error when I install My Basic Msi project.
I've checked the InstallShield Scripting Engine 8.0.
But when I install my application I've got the following error :

The version of InstallScript Engine on this computer is older than the required version for this installation ...

Any Idea ?

Laurent. unsure.gif

Edited by sopra, 05 January 2004 - 18:06.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 20:39

Hmm, this probably means that the Installshield guys didn't update the Installscript engine merge module even though they have upgraded the main engine setup (the MSI setup that is included when you compile youre setup into a setup.exe file).

I would contact Installshield support and ask them if they have a newer version of the Installscript merge module available.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

sopra

sopra
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 14:55

Hello,

This error is due to a bug in InstallShield Developer 8.x ,
the following document (Q108515) explain you how to resolve it.

Laurent.

FIX: InstallShield Scripting Engine Merge Module Contains Older Version of Engine

Document ID: Q108515
This article applies to the following:
Product(s): InstallShield Developer 8.x , InstallShield AdminStudio 5.x
Last Revised On: 4/21/2003

Symptoms
When including the InstallShield Scripting Engine Merge Module into a project created in InstallShield Developer 8.0 or 8.01, an error may occur at run time that indicates the version of the InstallScript engine present on the machine is older than what is required to run the setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
This is due to a bug that was introduced in Developer 8.0 and 8.01 that caused an older version of the scripting engine, version 8.0.0.122 (8.0.0.293 for 8.01 users), to be included in the merge module. The version included in the ISScript.msi file that installs the scripting engine is the correct version, version 8.0.0.123 (8.1.0.293 for 8.01 users).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resolution
The InstallShield Scripting Engine Merge Module has been updated to include the correct version of the latest scripting engine. The updated merge module for InstallShield Developer 8 and 8.01 can be downloaded from the following location:

http://saturn.instal...ptingEngine.msm
After downloading the updated merge module, follow these steps:

Locate the current copy of the InstallShieldScriptingEngine.msm and save a backup copy. By default, this merge module is stored in the following location:

\InstallShield\Developer\Modules\i386
Replace the current copy of this merge module with the updated version downloaded from the above link.

Rebuild the InstallShield Developer project so the updated merge module is included.

References
Additional information on merge modules can be found in the InstallShield Help Library topic "Working with Merge Modules".

sookie

sookie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:34

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-01-05 11:40)

The InstallShield Scripting Engine module.
There should be no visisble effect, but the InstallScript engine will get installed on the target computer.

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2003-12-18 10:10)

1. this is a "Basic MSI" project, not a "InstallScript MSI"
2. you have created one or more custom actions in InstallScript
3. You selected not to create a setup.exe launcher

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem - during installation the setup complains about the missing InstallScript-Engine.

When checking the merge modules in InstallShield Developer 7.02 - there is no InstallShield Scripting Engine to be selected from the modules to merge.

I could find the InstallScript engine MSI file ISScript.msi on the InstallShield development machine - but there is no adequate MSM file to add the merge module.

As you stated, Stefan, the three conditions quoted are the same thing here. How do I do this in InstallShield Developer 7.02?

Oliver.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 13:05

The engine merge module may not exist for version 7 (I think it was introduced in version 8) so your only option is to preinstall the isscript.msi, either using setup.exe or pre-deploying it with GPO or something like that. Unless you want to upgrade to the latest InstalShield version.

sookie

sookie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 13:37

Hi,

the modules for 7.x, 8.x and 9.x can be found
here - search for "InstallShield Scripting Engine" and make sure you use the right version.

I've integrated the module and the build at least looked quite different in size (+1.7MB) - I'll have to test with our customer.

Oliver.