This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

debugging DLL functions

1 reply to this topic

DeusApprime

DeusApprime
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 12:56

HI,
I have a DLL function (written in C) that I want to debug during the execution of the package. Basically, the function is called when I click on a button in a dialog.

In former InstallShield versions, I could put an '_asm int 3' (user breakpoint) statement in the beginning of the DLL function, thus causing VStudio to debug the function. But now, when I do this, MSI doesn't let the debugger run. Instead, it gives my a "dll crashed" error message.

How can I avoid these messages and debug the DLL in the usual way? Is there a different way of doing this (other than filling the DLL function with MessageBox() calls) ?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 14:25

I debug custom actions by

1.  At the start of CA or problem area of CA I include a message box for debugging purposes.
2.  When the install is run the message box appears.  I the use the attach to process function of the Visual Studio debugger.
3. I set a break point just after the MessageBox and press OK.  

I can now debug the custom action in the usual manner.

An alternate way of getting in to the debugger is to use the MsiBreak environment variable.

see Msi Docs
Windows Installer
---Custom Actions
------Debugging custom actions