This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

PFTW 4-delete files breaks install

3 replies to this topic

templebl

templebl
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 20:39

I have an install created with ISWI2.03.  I then wrap it into a single file with PFTW 4.  I have PFTW start the setup.exe for the install.  But, if I select 'delete files after installation completes' the install fails.

My ISWI install runs through all the dialogues, but as soon as I click 'Install' it fails saying it cannot find the .msi file - it has already been deleted by PFTW.  The other option is to 'copy to a folder' but that leaves all the install files on the client's harddrive taking up space for no reason.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does PFTW 4 just not work properly?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 22:33

This is a common problem: it's hard for PFTW to know when your MSI based setup is finished.
I would suggest to use the "copy to folder" option. The MSI file will be left on the user's machine, and that is good, because it is required for operations such as modify, (auto-)repair, often also for update, or even for uninstall.

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 16:43

Has anyone found a workaround for this problem? I have been investigating but haven't found any answers. Perhaps using a 3rd party tool other than PFTW might help. I know that winzip has a self-extractor application that create exes. It might not be as professional deploying that though.

Leaving the extracted files on the user's system is a fairly big problem especially when the total size of the files extracted is in the hundreds of megs. sad.gif

Any opinions? Comments?

Edited by tl0, 23 June 2003 - 16:44.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 18:15

The problem in inherent to all solutions that delete the files at the end of install, because it#s hard to detect this.
Leaving the files on the machine might be a problem because of the size, removing them is a problem because may break repair, modify, and upgrades.
If you really want to do it a relatively safe solution would be to create an entry to delete them after the next reboot. Could be a problem if your setup reboots in the middle, so you wnat to write this entry after your setup is completely done.