This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Trying to launch sqlncli from finish dialog

2 replies to this topic

jmpava

jmpava
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:00

Hi all, I posted this on IS forums too, but people (in general) actually seem to get answers to their questions here, so I'll try the condensed version - I also apologize if this is a duplicate, I DID look! ;->

I need to install SQL Native Client for a specific feature in my IS12 msi installation - I really don't want to have to install it as a pre-req, since its only needed in this one case, and it's not part of Typical - and of course I won't know until the pre-reqs are past. I am currently launching it from the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog through a direct msiexec call in an immediate CA (no, I'm not trying to nest it) when the user clicks the finish button - the referenced files (both sqlncli or slqncli64 as appropiate) are included in Disk1. This works on Vista if the user explicitly launches the setup.exe as Administrator, but not if they've just double-clicked and been prompted to elevate their permissions (the install already forces Admin elevation) in which case I get 1721.

It is installing from this dialog becuase that places the launch outside of the execute sequence and I'm pretty darn sure I can't launch another msi directly while the execute script is going. This also means I can't follow the suggestions I've seen most places for 1721 - change the action to run as system context - becuase then I have to do a deferred or commit in-script action and THAT has to run in the execute sequence.

Basically, am I out of luck? Is there anytime post-prereq when I can both launch the CA elevated AND not have it fail becuase an msi script is already running? Alternatively, are they ways to a) force launch the setup.exe with elevated privs from my C++ shell autorun (I'm guessing not, that seems like a major security hole in UAC) or b) launch msiexec as elevated, even if it means prompting the user again?

Thanks!

Edited by jmpava, 18 March 2008 - 02:01.

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 16:32

I just upgraded to Installshield 2008 so that I could use the Prerequisite function. The Prerequisite launches and installs utilities need by the Main program.
ConfigControl

jmpava

jmpava
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 19:25

I'm using setup Prerequisites for other things in my installation already. But I don't want to ALWAYS install sqlncli - it is only used by one feature. And since pre-reqs happen before the user selects which features they want to install, that wouldn't address this. I know I can use pre-reqs, I was wondering if there was a way I didn't have to.

Unless the IS 2008 Prereqs you are talking about are completely different then the IS12 version...?