This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Standard Project patches not working

7 replies to this topic

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 17:49

Has anyone created anything in the Patch Creation Wizard that works with a Standard Project?

On the final page of the wizard, I check "Create Update.exe" and when I run it to update a previous test project I get "1: This installation can not be run by directly launching the MSI package; you must run setup.exe".

What's up with that?

I can't seem to get things working the other way either when you don't check "Create Update.exe" and have to use the command line:
msiexec /p "c:\test.msp".  I get the same error.

Anyone get a Developer Standard Project patch working in any way?

Thilak

Thilak
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 15:46

Try having SAME product code and upgrade code for both versions.  And DIFFERENT package code for both versions.  Build both versions seperately.  Create the patch.  It would work.

Mikael

Mikael
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 22:32

I've done what Thilak said. I still get the same error. I'm using  WinXP build 2600 and 7.01 RC and MSI 2.0 (I think). I've changed one file which is in its own component.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 07:28

I'm still unable to reproduce this. Mikael, are you creating and/or testing the setup on XP? Anyone can reproduce this with Win98?

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 18:19

I'm using Win2k SP2.  Still have the original problems.

Patiently waiting for first Developer patch...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 19:52

Have you tested with ISD 7.01 RC1 ?

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 21:30

No, I hadn't....so I signed up for the beta program and got it.

No problems so far with some quick patch tests (Win2k).  Brought original install and patch to other Win2k machine and that worked fine as well.

So far so good...

Mikael

Mikael
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2001 - 23:53

I'm quite sure it is a bug in IS7.0/7.01.

I have a test setup with one component and one file.
The original file is 2985 KB. In the Release Wizzard (Release Configuration) I choose "Compress all files", and uses entire files in the package.

The file in the 2.nd setup is 307 KB.

I run the patch generation wizzard. It generates a patch of 601 KB. As I run the patch I get the error message mentioned above.

If I leave all files uncompressed in the release Wizzard, using the same setup, it generates a patch of 1345 KB.

This patch works like a charm  :-)

(However I do not want to deploy the setup as uncompressed files.)

Anyone care to comment? - To me it seems like a job for the guys at Installshield.