This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Path values not set properly in install

3 replies to this topic

Shan

Shan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2001 - 22:46

I am new to ISWI 2.03 and the whole Windows Installer concept.  I am attempting to rewrite a product's install from scratch using Merge Modules in ISWI.  My problem is getting the components to install to the correct paths.  I think part of my problem is related to the "Wrong Entries for AppPath Registry Key in Merge Modules" bug in ISWI (see <http://www.installsi.../bugs_iswi.htm>).  However, either I do not understand the description of the defect or there is another problem that is preventing me from using the workaround.

I created my merge modules with the Destination Folder specified as ".", so that the location could be overridden by the parent install.  I specified the Destination for each of the components to be relative to [INSTALLDIR] (i.e. [INSTALLDIR]\Bin, [INSTALLDIR]\Doc, etc.).

In my main install, I have tried using [INSTALLDIR] as the Destination Folder, and I have tried creating global path variables in the Power Editor, under Directory, and using those variable names (putting them in square brackets where I attempt to use them, and I also tried using all caps and regular case), and neither worked.  Most of the time, my destination for the merge modules shows up as C:\ or C:\MyVariableName\.  When I have been able to make it install to a different directory, it seems to not reinitialize the target directory for each merge module.  For example, if I specify D:\MyDir as my destination, then the modules that should go into D:\MyDir\Bin are correctly placed.  However, a merge module that depends on those modules (in this case, a code sample) which should be installed into D:\MyDir\SDK\Samples gets put into D:\MyDir\Bin\Samples instead.  

I have tried so many variations that I have lost track of which ones have come closest to making my install work properly.

Back to the ISWI defect:  The workaround states that I should append the merge module GUID manually to INSTALLDIR.  However, when I look in my Merge Module project under Advanced Views / Components / <component> / Advanced Settings / Application Paths, there are no entries there, and the drop-down list for File does not contain any files, even though there are files linked to this component.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.  :)

Shan

Shan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 22:05

I believe that I've pretty much solved my problem.  I had used a template for some of my merge modules, and had forgotten to generate a new GUID for each module, so that's why they were ending up in the same directory as other modules.  

I still haven't figured out why I'm having trouble using path variables, but I'm working on that issue now.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 May 2001 - 05:57

Path variables are used at build time (toi locate the application files that should be included in the setup on your development machine).