This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSM install problem on Terminal Server

2 replies to this topic

ErikvDijk

ErikvDijk
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 17:30

Hello,

I've a problem installing my software on a Terminal Server. I hope someone
could help me with it. I'm an experienced user of Installshield Developer, but
I was not able to use that tool here.

I've developed an application using VB6. Target and development platform is W2K. It uses some ocx's and dll's. I created
an MSI installation package using VS installer. The dependencies to the dll's are
properly detected and the corresponding merge modules are included in
the installation.

If I install the software on my Terminal Server (Win2000 user compatibility, admin account, install mode etc) it succeeds. If I start my program as administrator,
things work fine. I've also some normal users configured who do not have full
access. If I start under such an acount, some dll's can't be found. They are there,
but not registered for the current user. These dll's are actually from a merge
module:
sysinfo.ocx (sysinfo.msm)
msmapi32.ocx (msmapi32.msm)

It seems that the MSM's do not install for all users. What I see, is that when I
start my application, some MSI install is started for the current user.

Changing Terminal Services security compatibility to "TS user" solves the problem
but is not an option for me. (My admins will kill me). The normal users will
also not have the rights to register manually.

Does anyone know why the MSM's are not set up properly for all users?
All the other MSM's work fine.

I hope someone has ideas! Every wild guess may be helpful.

Thanks,

Erik

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 17:38

Make sure that your software installs for all users, by setting ALLUSERS accordingly.

Robo Scripter

Robo Scripter
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 21:11

Welcome to the living “Hell” that is terminal server applications in a managed environment.
You are quite correct there are User registered class keys in these modules. 187 of them to be exact and if they are not there … we’ll just say, the world as we know it just is not the same!

There are various ways that have been and will be set forward as to how to magically solve this dilemma. So here is my two cents worth.

I create a special executable to pre-populate the current user keys prior to launching the application. Generally the exe is built in InstallMaster, however the equivalent could easily be built in VC or VB as well. I think that you may find some launching utility code on the Citrix Support page that is written in WinBatch. You can even write a vbs to do the job. The point would be that pre populating or insuring the existence of the required keys is essential for the application to launch successfully. Good luck,

Kind Regards,

Robert W. Haynie
Software Integration Consultant
robert.haynie@HaynieHouse.com
+1 (713) 805-4830
Be the stone that sharpens the leading edge.