This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall of per-user in stallation

5 replies to this topic

NewOrder

NewOrder
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 13:29

Hello,

is there any possibility to uninstall a per user msi-installation with a different account than the one used for the installation? I wold be happy for every solution, even as a workaround.

Thanks,

NewOrder

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 16:09

No. Since the software is "not installed" for the other users it cannot be uninstalled.

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 20:26

Hi,
Ok... What happens if you install the product for all users after the per-user installation and then you Uninstall it. Would that remove the per-user installation??

Good Luck....

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:02

No, I don't think it would.

Pmoller

Pmoller
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:39

Hi,

User targeting applications must be uninstalled in the same context before installing the same application in another context.

If u try to install the same application in another context (ex machine/allusers), it will be registered as both user installed and machine installed.

Later on if you will do an update of that same application, you will experience problems, and the only way to get out of the mess is to use Windows Installer Clean Up utility from Microsoft..

So, always install/uninstall applications in the same context

Per

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 17:05

Hi,
So you are suggesting that developers of the MSI package should not support installation of both context in the same machine. Is there anything developers of MSI packages should do to make sure of correct behaviour when such scenario happens? Should the msi not accept new installation in different context. how should we do that? I found it reasonable to prevent per user installation after a per machine installation. But I think we should not prevent a per-machine installation after a per user installation. Any suggestions of correct implementation. I wonder how MS-Office package does that??

Thank you all