This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How big a crime is it? (component codes)

1 reply to this topic

Tor

Tor
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 13:41

Hi,
I have an old installation made with ISWI 1.52. Now I want to use Developer 7 but I don't want to upgrade the old project. So I make a new project from scratch with the same files and locations but NEW component codes (and names). This will be a major upgrade. It seems to work fine. Why should I not do this ? Will it affect later upgrades and patching ?
I've read that it would ruin the ref-counting in Windows Installer. Is this true when I use a major upgrade that removes the old files?

thanks,
Tor

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 12:51

In your case I would guess that the RemoveExistingProducts action is before InstallInitialize.  In this case the old product is called to completely remove the old product before the new product is installed.

The ideal position for RemoveExistingProducts is after InstallFinalize.  In this case only the new files are updated then the old msi is called to remove the old product.  In this case the files just installed will be removed because the new guid is unknown to the old install.

So although it may be tedious it is best to reuse the component guids.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)