This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade by Reinstalling and Custom Setup

2 replies to this topic

Jim S

Jim S
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 21:02

I want to use the "Upgrade by Reinstalling" method to update my installations. Everything works fine for my installation that has only one feature. But when I have multiple features, and I try to use the Setup Types and Custom Setup dialogs, I run into problems. For instance, I do a first-time installation, and leave a feature uninstalled. After that, I can't install that feature by running the setup again, because REINSTALL acts according to a feature's current install state. REINSTALL will not install a feature if it is not currently installed.

One idea I have for getting around this problem is to set the install state for all features to Installed, in a Custom Action. Does anyone know if this is possible, how can this be done? Or is there some other solution I am missing?

Jim S

Jim S
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 21:19

OK, after reading my post again, I am thinking my idea is probably a bad idea on many levels. So does anyone have any useful ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 22:00

I don't see your problem: Applying the update would not display the custom setup dialog. But after the update has been applied you should be able to launch setup from control panel and select additional features.