This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

A way to fake Uninstall information ?

3 replies to this topic

dbeleznay

dbeleznay
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 18:58

Hi there,

Are there any utilities or APIs which allow modification of an installscript installation’s uninstall information?

Basically the situation is this:

We will be doing an installscript install, but will be using a home grown patch system for upgrades. We would like something that allows us to install with installshield, patch a few times, possibly adding, removing and changing files. And then run uninstall and have everything be wiped out (perhaps not user created data ). Is this something that can be done? And how would we go about doing it?

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Dave

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 15:07

You could add code to your script to delete any additional files during uninstall, like deleting all files in a directory.

dbeleznay

dbeleznay
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 17:41

Interesting idea.. it initially had me really excited, but what happens if the user installs the product to somewhere less than ideal i.e. c:\program files\ instead of c:\program files\myapp.

Yes this allows me to clean up all of my subdirectories, but if something gets added to <install dir> between patches then i can't quite clean it up. ( without keeping a list somewhere of what i've added, and having that get called in a custom uninstall action. and if i'm doing that then what's the point of the uninstaller anyway ? )

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:56

You could enforce a proper installation path by requiring that the folder contains no prior files or folders.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul