This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is it wrong to not self register my dlls?

2 replies to this topic

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 21:00

Does anyone could tell me the real advantage to self-register the dlls of my application during installation, in which cases it's not recommended and if it's wrong if I do not self register them.
Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:18

The first question is: do your files need to be registered (COM servers ususllay do, e.g. OCX etc.).
If the answer is no: don't register them.
if the answer is yes: it's better to extract the COM information at build or when you add the file to the project, instead of running self-registration on the target machine. The first will add the required information (ClassIds etc.) to the tables in your msi file so that Windows Installer can write them to registry at install time. In the latter case your file will be loaded during instalaltion and the DllRegisterServer will be called. There are several disadvantages with this methos, like dependency and registration sequence issues, no autorepair, no install on demand, see the MSI Help for details.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:46

In addition to resolving registration sequencing and dependency problems and allowing self repair and install on demand, COM extract also allows COM servers to be properly installed per user or per machine depending on the value specified for the ALLUSERS property. Finally MSI's rollback feature is supposed to be available to recover the system to its original state (including COM registry keys) if the setup fails to install for some reason.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul