This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Transforms not applied during Upgrade ?

5 replies to this topic

ajeet

ajeet
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 22:54

This appears to be a MSI problem.

Upon a later versioned localized package product reinstall onto a non-English machine:

"msiexec.exe /i c:\myprod.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus TRANSFORMS=c:\mytrans.mst"

it appears that the _old_ cached _transform_ is being used, not the new one - mytrans.mst.

Shouldn't the 'v' in the REINSTALLMODE tell the msi service to recache the transforms as well as the msi package ?

Any help or comments ?

- Ajeet

ajeet

ajeet
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 17:30

This is a basic project, by the way.

Attached is the resulting patch MSI log.

Is anything obviously wrong?

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:37

v will re-cache the.msi file. I didn't find any mention in the docs that this would also re-cache the .mst.
But this information may help you (although it needs a change already in the first version):
You can indicate that a transform file is embedded in a storage of the .msi file, rather than as a stand-alone file, by prefixing the filename with a colon (:). [...] Note that transforms embedded in the .msi file are not cached and are always obtained from the package.

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 13:00

I hoped the 3.0 version of Windows Installer would also recache transforms, but it doesn't look like it does (at least not in beta 1).
The workaround of using embedded transforms does work, as does removing the current cached version of the transform, but both methods aren't what you'd want.

To me, it seems like something Microsoft simply forgot. There either should be a seperate option to recache the transform, of the use of v should recache the MSI as well as all of its transforms.

Does anybody know if this is supposed to be implemented in the final Installer 3.0?
Dick Nagtegaal

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 14:15

So many things to remember, isn't there? Thanks for making this knowledge public. This should be a "best practice" recommendation "Always use embedded transforms". If I get some time one of these days, I will start writing all these loose ends up and make a FAQ of it.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 15:31

I submitted this as an incident, but the reply the Installer Development Team gave me is that this works as designed.

IMHO, that would mean the design is incorrect.

There are no plans to change this in Installer 3.0.
Dick Nagtegaal