This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help - im desperate! "Deadlock"-installation

5 replies to this topic

David Konrad

David Konrad
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 14:02

I have an installation that works ok. Some EXE files has to be registered, so i made some Custom Actions which registered them after the installationproces (pure EXE-calls and a single RegSvr32). But, i forgot the "NOT INSTALLED" condition, so the setup tried to register the files under repair, remove and update. Now I cant get the install to work properly, even when I have removed the Custom Actions - it insist to register the files under remove, for instance, even when Custom Action and EXE-files is removed from the project - and all I want is to start from scratch. Saving it under a new name didnt improve anything - deleting entries in the registry didnt improve anything - so now I have a setup, that only is able to remove, update etc - but rolls back at the very end, because it cant run the files removed by the removeprocedure...

How can I start from scratch?
Where is installinformation located?
Why is MSI so sensible for such "errors"?

Ken Gross

Ken Gross
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 16:32

There is a package that Microsoft has erleased called the "Windows Installer Clean Up" (utility?). It canm be found somewhere on Microsofts website.

It will allow you to remove everything from your PC for a bad install.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Ken Gross

Ken Gross
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 16:38

Here is the URL for the cleanup utility:

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q238413

Hope this helps,
Ken

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 19:23

have you tried changing the product and package code ( GUIDs ) of the current package ?

David Konrad

David Konrad
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 14:03

Hi,Thank you all for responding. I was not aware of a clean utility, and change the GUID was an very godd idea, that will work. I found the entry in the registry under HKEY_USERS/"current user"/Software/Microsoft/Installer/Products ->key with semicrypted info. Deleting these/this entries/entry solves the problem.

regards,

DazzaH

DazzaH
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 13:14

Here is another way around your original problem :

The installed MSI is stored in %systemroot%\Installer.  

If the backout will not work due to something like a Custom Action failing, you can stop the action from running.
Directly edit the MSI, find the offending action in the InstallExecuteSequence table, and add a condition that will always fail (eg 1=0).