This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DLL Registration - ISX 5 COM extraction + MS SMS

4 replies to this topic

workflow

workflow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 13:51

I have an ISX5 project that produces an installer that has a few ActiveX's dll's native in the install and a number of others it pulls in from merge modules

The merge modules all seem to use self registration (even MS supplied ones despite MS saying this is no longer good practice smile.gif ) and these seem fine

However the DLL's in the main project are "registered" using ISX's COM extraction - when the installer is run manually this seems fine - however when it is run using Microsoft SMS to do the install the DLL's from the merge modules have registered OK but the ones using COM Extraction have not registered - If I register them with RegSVR32 it is fine so it just seems the registration is failing - any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 13:57

This might be an issue with registry permissions or user accounts. With COM Extraction the registrytion information is written directly to the registry at install time. Are you setting ALLUSERS=1 ?

workflow

workflow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 14:18

Thanks for reply Stefan - I also think it is likely to be some rights thing - I just supplied the MSI so I am checking what command line was used to install it - I thought SMS would run in some elevated role to get the rights it needed though

workflow

workflow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 14:22

Stefan - the SMS command line was
'msiexec.exe /i "TCMS Time.msi" /qn REBOOT=ReallySupress'

"TCMS Time.msi" is the MSI module - would this mean it only registered for the user SMS is running as then?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 23:24

yes, unless the msi file itself sets the ALLUSERS property to 1, e.g. in the property table. You can find out by generating a log file.