This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Passing Parameters to Web Installs?

3 replies to this topic

RickBart

RickBart
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 19:20

I'm doing a rewrite of a project that includes upgrading from 6.3 to 7.01.  Part of the installation includes setting a registry entry indicating the URL the user entered to download the software.  This enables future automatic downloads.

The 6.3 project used the Setup Player to dynamically set a property in the InstallShield project, but the Setup Player is listed as one of the functions that doesn't have an equivalant in 7.0 (Q105377).

I'm open to different approaches, but I somehow need to capture the URL that the user entered in the browser and get it inserted into the registry on the target machine.  I can't hardcode the URL because we send the installation program to customers, who install it on their webserver, and their employees download it over their intranet.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  I've been banging my head against the wall over this for a while. :-}

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 17:59

Are you downloading the install (e.g. in a self extracting exe) and run it locally, or are you installing directly from a URL. In the latter case the sourcelist might help.

RickBart

RickBart
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 18:53

I'm not familiar with the sourcelist.  I searched the on-line documentation and didn't find a match on that.  Can you give me some more details?

I've tried creating a single EXE, and I've tried using the one-click install.  I haven't figured out how to get the installation to know about the URL using either approach.  I'm open to anything I can get to work! ;-)

Just to give you my background, I attended a week of InstallShield training under version 6.  I've recently been learning version 7 on my own.  I've created about half a dozen installations, total.

I appreciate your reply!  How do the varying number of stars get assigned to people's names?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 07:56

It's documented in Windows Installer Help, not InstallShield help (Windows Installer help can also be accessed from the Help menu). I admit that I haven't tried this, it's just an idea you may want to research.

The stars indicate the number of messages someone has posted.