This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Script defined variable Path

1 reply to this topic

Nash

Nash
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 17:24

Hi,

I am using a script defined variable, <sPath>, to contain the path for a seperate desination folder to my TARGETDIR. I have set this up in the FileGroup destination and I have set the following in my script to associate the correct path with the variable:
ComponentSetTarget (MEDIA, "<sPath>", s_JavaAPIDir);

Everything works fine during the setup. I have a similar chunk of code in Maintenance mode to deal with a Modify. This works fine as well. Repairs also work fine if this is installed and the files in both locations, TARGETDIR and <sPath> are repaired correctly.

And now the problem. If the user has not selected the Component with the path variable during the first install. Then chooses a Modify to add the item, then chooses to run a repair....Installshield cannot identify thet <sPath> variable as a path during the Repair. However if the user installed the Component during the first install then all Repairs work correctly and InstallShield must have been able to associate the <sPath> variable with a valid path.

How is IS able to know the path of <sPath> if it is installed during a fresh setup but unable to know the path if it is added in as part of a Modify and then a Repair is run. The Error only appears during the Repair when it gets to this Filegroup repair and I get a Component Transfer Error,
Component: myComponent
FileGroup: myFileGroup
File: <sPath>
Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

I suspect I should add this value to the registry and then read it again when running a repair...However I suspect I may have left something out in my script so that the variable path is always persisted.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Nash

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 17:53

Yes, you should save off and/or re-populate that variable each time you run your setup.
user posted image