This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Whats this new Bob Baker book like then?

12 replies to this topic

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 14:00

Have lessons been learnt from the "Official Developers Guide" or has Bob "copy and pasted" MSI 2.0 help this time?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 14:57

I've just created a forum for discussions about MSI books. I'm moving this topic there.

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 16:26

I don't know if we are talking about the same book, but I bought "The Official Installshield for Windows Installer Developers Guide" written by Bob Baker last year.

Admittedly its definatley targeted at any audience, from those just getting into MSI to those that know a fair bit, but either want to know some nuts and bolts about specifics, or want to know their specific product (ISD).

As I don't use their product this certainly isn't a sales pitch. I found the first 5-6 chapters to be the best (the rest is all about ISD and how to use it!;). Bob initially walks you through creating and editing an MSI the hard way...using Orca - a tool I've come to love and was using well before reading the book ;)

It's a pretty good reading giving you plently of background specifics on why you do something, rather than just monkey-see-monkey-do as I have seen in some places.

I also found the chapter on upgrades and patches really helpfull, though I still had problems the first time around. It just gave me a better idea ;)

Well that enough ranting, suffice to say it's in my list of 3 top MSI resources, one below the MSI.chm and one up from the rehashed CHM VB/VBA Developers Guide to the Windows Installer.

I'm always open to other good resources though, so if anyone has any suggestions ..... :)

Adam

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 07:00

Dave's question was about Bob Baker's new book (published this week): "Getting Started with InstallShield Developer and Windows Installer Setups", and how it compares to his first book (the one you have).

RaymondHallReid

RaymondHallReid
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 09:44

Hi all,

How many of you are in the UK and thought of Buying Bob Baker's new book?  I did for one, but I wasn't going to pay the $65 P & P to the UK.  I have the perfect solution.

Give InstallShield UK a call on 0117 903 0650, and go through to the Sales Department.  The book is something like £35, but wait for it...P & P is around £5.00.  You have to wait a few business days for it to be delivered, but it is certainly cheaper.

Maybe this will get this part of the forum up and running.

I will have to read it, and give my opionion here soon.

Regards

Raymond Hall-Reid
MicroCompass Systems Limited

CraigSander

CraigSander
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 18:58

On another note.  I am in Canada, and wanted to order the book as well.  I looked at ordering it from Install Sheild it was around 65 USD.  But shipping was 30 USD to Canada.  Instead I found the book on Amazon.com.

The book was the same price but Shipping was only 5 USD.  Big difference.  I guess you jsut have to look for where you live.

Though I will note that this is a hot seller on Amazon.  It took 5 days before they even sent it.  I jsut got a confirmation that it was being posted so should be soon...  I hope, I need all the help i can get.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 20:04

You can use this link to order it from Amazon.com:

Getting Started with InstallShield Developer and Windows Installer Setups

I didn't find it at other amazon sites yet.

It also seems hard to get this book from book stores (at least here in Europe). But you can order it from the InstallSite Shop (books are on stock and will be shipped by air mail)

Again: the optimal solution depends on your location, so compare the offers (including shipping fees and delivery times)

Ken Gross

Ken Gross
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 02:44

Unfortunately, the best source for MSI insfo besides this forum continues to be the SDK.

Just my opinion folks,
Ken

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:06

I find the "Getting Started With Installshield Developer and Windows Installer Setups" book pretty good. He starts off with a good summary of installation types, goes on with a useless chapter about the Installshield Developer IDE, follows up with a great chapter 3 about Windows Installer nuts and bolts. Chapter 4 is a "nice to know" overview of Installshield's runtime architecture. Chapter 5 is again useless focusing on the Installshield IDE again. Chapters 6 through 9 are for Installscript. I haven't read these since I find the online help sufficient to use Installscript. Chapters 10 and onwards deal more with "how to" and this is what I am reading now. All in all I think the book is worth the money (but I got it "free" during a seminar tongue.gif)
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

cgarstin

cgarstin
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 20:25

Is there any books that are about Windows Installer but are not biased to one IDE or another? What I mean is, I want a book that is pure Windows Installer, and not written by InstallShield (I don't use it) or Wise (they suck).

There has been one on Amazon.com that has been "wait to be released" for like a year now.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Chris

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 21:26

Unfortunately I don't think there are any books like that sad.gif. I think Stefan has assembled the definite list of books here: http://www.installsi...n/msi/books.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:18

There is one such book from Microsoft Press, but it's only available in German language.

Also the lastest book from InstallShield press "Practical Windows Installer Solutions for Building InstallShield Setup Applications" looks quite good. Of course it has some references to the InstallShield IDE, but most of the information in the book is also useful if you're not using InstallShield (for instance, custom actions are in VBScript or C, not in InstallScript). I received it only yesterday and haven't had the time to read it, but at first glance it looks very promising.

tester12

tester12
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 16:27

Got this book last night.

I think it is good. At least compare to all the other books I had of Bob's,
this book has no installscripts at all.