This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Question about IS cabinet file viewer

3 replies to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:13

Hi to all,
why InstallShield 6.31 Cabinet File Viewer can't open .cab files and .hdr files belonging to an InstallShield 5.5 setup?
It return a severe error:
Error number: 107
Description: Could not initialize compression engine

Are there any other ways to open these files?

Thanks.
Ciao, Giuseppe

P.S.
It seems to me that failing to open InstallShield 6.31 .cab/.hdr files with InstallShield 5.5 Cabinet File Viewer (compatibility in advance) is acceptable and logical but not the contrary (backwards compatibility)!
If I only have IS6.31 but I also have a lot of old IS5.5 setup (left from previous management) how can I do if I want to (for example) extract a file?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 17:50

I've never needed to use the Cabinet File Viewer, but worst case you could re-install IS 5.5 on a box and copy off its viewer executable.
user posted image

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 18:01

Quote (TacoBell00 @ Nov. 13 2002,16:50)
I've never needed to use the Cabinet File Viewer, but worst case you could re-install IS 5.5 on a box and copy off its viewer executable.

Installing IS55 the IS6.x cab file viewer will open cab/hdr file packeged with IS55, that's ok.

But I have another problem: I want to build a IS6.x project (and deliver it) that can do the following (once installed onto target machine):
it could open cab/hdr file of IS55/IS6.x package. For example from CDROM's setup.(*)

Now I obtain this with ComponentInitialize and ComponentGetData but my project has the same problem of cab file viewer (that is, if I build it with IS6.x it reach to open only IS6.x setup).

I think, unfortunately, also installing IS5.5 onto my machine this restriction will remane the same, isn't it?
Is there a way to provide the IS6.x engine the ability to open IS5.5 cab like it happens with the IS6.x cab file viewer?

Thanks,
Ciao
Giuseppe

(*)I hope I was been clear in my exposition, anyway we need to extract component information of old setup and we are studying a way to do that with another IS setup. This way has to be as automatic as possible, so I prefer a project rather than open cab file viewer any time.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 01:51

Responding here instead of Messenger, so all may contribute and learn from this experience.

---

Yikes!  Well I've never used IS5, only IS6 so I'm not the one to answer this question.

However, my I suggest simply delivering your source data files in uncompressed format, so you nee dent bother with all these differing CAB file formats later on.

user posted image