This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can't install scrrun.dll!

3 replies to this topic

hacibumbala

hacibumbala
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 10:56

When trying to install my application on a target computer which has older system files, the installer displays a message saying that the file (e.g. SCRRUN.DLL) is in currently use by Windows. Therefore, the file cannot be updated and my application does not run!

I am using Visual Studio Installer 1.1 and I tried PDW previously. Both of them have the same problem. Is there a solution for this problem. Can I correct it in Visual Studio Installer?

Thanks in advance...

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 23:23

Hi,
Don't install scrrun.dll to the system folder,  install it with your product to the INSTALLDIR folder (or something like that). In this case when your application will be running it will use your own scrrun.dll from the current not  from the system folder.
Good luck!

hacibumbala

hacibumbala
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 15:03

Hi Irina,

Thank you very much for your help!

I tried what you said. I put all the components to the application folder. This time I received the following errors:

- Could not register some dll's, ocx's or other system files while installation.
- I chose not to register them. This time the application did not run and received the error "Class not registered"!

I have to register some of the dll's! If I put them in the application folder, can't register since they have older versions in the registry. If I try to copy them to system folder and replace the older versions with the newer ones, I get the error in my previous message "XXX is currently used by Windows"!

Any ideas? Is it why Visual Studio Installer 1.1 sucks? Do I need a better installer?

Thanks!

secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 05:19

You can redistribute the scripting runtime dll, nor is there a scripting runtime merge module (msm file).

I spent months looking ofr one. I know it sucks royally, but MS is always halfassed when it comes to their os software support.

There in lies the problem the scripting runtime is part of the OS, and its upgrade path is broken.

To fix the poblem:
1) Download the Scripting Runtime 5.2 Self insalling exes for both win9X and WinNT.

2) remove the  referecence to the scrrun.dll file in the package

3) Put some detection code to find out if you have right version of sripting runtime.

4) add the two versions of sripting runtimes as binaries and launch a custom action that installs the right one based on target systems os and scripting runtime version. Make sure this custom action is installed after your program is finished installing as it will cause system to reboot.

voila