This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Product level condition unsuitable

6 replies to this topic

HänsG

HänsG
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:09

Hi,

my first post, I hope I'm in the right forum, there are so many to choose from here.

With our product we also deploy the .NET Framework 2.0, the Visual J# redist, the language packs and a licensing prerequisite, which all in all can take quite a while to install, especially when installing on older machines.

The setup should only run on XP or Vista, so we have placed the according condition at product level.

However: Due to the above, the message telling a Windows 2k user that the operating system is not valid appears after the prerequisites have been installed, which can take up to 15 mins. This is very annoying. A lot of our customers will still be running Windows 2k (the last release of our product ran on 2k).

Is there a method to check the Windows version right at the beginning of setup.exe?

Edit: Could I use 'System search' to check a registry key? If so, which one?
EditEdit: This is ridiculous, I just found out that the 'System search wizard' does nothing other than insert a 'LaunchCondition' at product level. So I'm back to square one. mad.gif

Thanks,

Hans

Edited by HänsG, 20 April 2007 - 10:35.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:33

The problem is that all these checks happen in the msi setup, which s launched after the prerequisites are installed.
I think you could use the prerequisite editor to add a condition for the prerequisites to make sure they don't install on older Windows versions, so your setup would go straight to the Launch Condition in your msi in this case.

HänsG

HänsG
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:10

Thank you for your reply, Stefan.

Unfortunately I cannot change the conditions on the .prqs because we use them for our older versions of our product as well and I don't really want to have separate .prqs for all of our versions.

Also, the biggest problem is the time it takes to install .NET Framework 2.0, which is included in the release of the main setup.

Would it be possible to somehow put a condition on the .NET Framework install itself? I haven't found anything suitable yet.

Thanks,

Hans.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 18:00

No, I don't think that's possible (unless you create a custom prerequisite for it)

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:50

Could you auto run a checkprerequisites.exe file if you deliver this on a CD? If not, could you make a simple cd-browser style launcher which will do all checks automatically before extracting the installer?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HänsG

HänsG
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:15

That might be a possibility, of course, thanks. I would have liked a more elegant solution, though, and for the moment, as usual, there are more important issues to see to ... wink.gif

I'll have to look into this later on.

Hans

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:04

From a corporate deployment perspective it is always better to have all prerequisites outside the MSI being used. This allows easy and elegant large scale deployment. If you include a file called Corporate Deployment Readme.txt or similar and state the pre-reqs and any installation order, your product will be very well received indeed by corporations. If you couple this with a CD style browser for the small office and home user you are delivering a far better deployment experience than the vast majority of other software companies.

Remember: the installation is the first impression for your product! There are few things that are more important for overall product marketing success than a successful install :-).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul