This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using the "Vital" attribute for a file

1 reply to this topic

Jim S

Jim S
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 15:51

Has anyone here used the "Vital" attribute in the File table? Over on InstallShield's user forum, I am having a difference of opinion with someone about this attribute's intended purpose.

He is convinced that setting the Vital attribute will force it to overwrite a non-versioned file, even if the file has been modified. I am unable to duplicate his results. The way I read it from the MSI docs, Vital is used with a file to prevent an installation from being completed, in the event that the file can't be copied to the target machine.

Can anyone offer a deciding opinion?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:47

My understanding of the docs is the same as yours. However I don't know if this has any other side effects. But overwriting a modufied versionless files would be against the default file versioning rules (which however can be modified globally for the whole package). The use of the file hash table might make a difference here, too.