This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Calling multiple MSI files from within an MSI (main setup)

1 reply to this topic

paulridding

paulridding
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 13:16

Hi, I am currently trying to implement a setup architecture that allows one MSI file to take control of a number of other MSI files (sub modules) and has the ability to call the modules (or not call them) depending on user selections during the setup.

This post is just to ask the question.... "Is it possible to do this and allow the main MSI file to 'keep control' of the sub modules without having to run each script separately."

The reason for doing this is so that I can write one generic oversetup which without modification can support extra sub-modules. It also means other developers can write the file installation routines for there components without the main setup having to install any files (directly).

I hope that I have explained the problem clearly enough and if anybody could give me some advice I would really appreciate it! I am using the newest release of InstallShield if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Paul

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 00:56

Have you given any thought to using merge modules for your "sub modules"?